Monday, November 15, 2010

8 December 1998

Today was another big day and I'm not going to bed until I write about yesterday and today!  Last night I  briefly mentioned that I had met Jerry Seinfeld.  Well that was definitely an experience that I will never forget.  We were up in the arch taking photographs and as I was intently concentrating on looking out the window Sister Beck and Sister Gray came running up to me and Sister Gray says, "Did you hear them talking about Jerry Seinfeld?  He's here!" 

"What!?" I exclaimed.  "Where?"

"He's right over there!" Sister Gray pointed.  And there he was, to my nine o'clock, standing there with his back to me.  (I recognized the back of his head.)  I thought, "Hmm, I would like a picture of him."  So I expressed my idea to my companions and they both encouraged me to ask him to take one with me.  It was so crazy.  I was so nervous to ask him and I almost chickened out, but I did it!  I asked him.

I handed my camera to Sister Beck and walked up behind Jerry and tapped him on the shoulder.  (He had on a green life preserver looking coat.)  Slowly, he turned around and I said, "Are you Jerry Seinfeld?"  He looked at me like I was crazy!  It was a dumb thing to say because, duh, it was Jerry Seinfeld...  I was just so nervous and at a loss for words.  Then as he was looking at me like I was an idiot I said, "My name is Sister Campbell."

And he said, "I can see that." 

And me with a smile on my face asked, "Can I get a picture with you?"

"I'm not a religious person."  He replied.

"So?"  Was my retort.  I wasn't there to preach just to be his friend and to get a picture.  All the while he was looking at me like I was just plain dumb.  So I asked again.  (I'm getting good at restating.)  "So you don't want to get a picture?"

"No," he said.  "There are too many people."

"Oh, okay, I understand," I said a little disappointed and then I walked away.

Oh good golly, I was so nervous that my knees were shaking.  It was really weird and he was really unpleasant.

Sister Gray and Sister Beck says everyone in the arch were impressed and a little mad and disappointed in him.  I made a scene.  A few minutes later we got our stuff and left and had to walk past him and I couldn't even look at him.  Maybe because I felt a little snubbed or let down.  It was a fun thing.  Oh, I did get a picture of him after we left the arch.  He was quite a ways away though, but I still got my photo!

I wish he would have been a little nicer and I wish I wouldn't have acted so weird.  As I thought about it later, I wish I would have testified to him or something like that.  When we meet again at Jesus' feet I will ask him again...maybe he'll take a photo with me then.

I do not remember tapping him on the shoulder, but I definitely remember feeling like a piece of dirt in his presence.  I found out in January 1999, during the Super Bowl, exactly why he was visiting the St. Louis Arch.  He was filming for one of the infamous Super Bowl halftime commercials.  I went crazy when I saw it!  I have been searching the Internet for this particular ad and finally after a couple of hours, voila!  Enjoy the show and note the green life preserver coat.

REAL LIFE -1999

6 comments:

  1. In the first sentence I declared that I wanted to write about yesterday and today. I took care of the yesterday part but forgot to write about "today." Well, I did say, "Today was another big day." I guess I did talk about it after all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How disapointing that he was so rude, what a big let down. I was SO nervous when I met Stephenie Meyer a few months ago, but thankfully she was very nice and personable. Its crazy how highly we look up to these famous people and then when they treat you like crap its a total turn off. Oh well. At least you can always say that YOU had the guts to go up to him :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, where did you serve exactly? I lived for a VERY short amount of time on the Illnois side of St Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  4. To be honest, I was never that big of a fan of Jerry Seinfeld before my mission. Never watched his show.

    I served most of my time in Western Illinois. East St. Louis and Centralia, which is in the O'Fallon stake. Good times.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember you sharing this story back in the day. I purposefully disliked him after that. I was young. :) Now that I am older, I enjoy Seinfeld quite a lot. I think he is funny, but Rachel is right. When someone snubs you like that (Joe Shmoe, or a celebrity) it is hard to not think differently of them afterward. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lol...It didn't bother me for long. I got over it in like 10 minutes.

    ReplyDelete

Contact me at kjsbucketlist@gmail.com