Wednesday, November 10, 2010

9 December 1998

During the last month of my mission, I was placed in a threesome.  Which means that there were three missionaries working together instead of the traditional two.  (In case you wanted to know.) Sister Gray and I were both going home right before Christmas and so Sister Beck had to kill off two slightly trunky missionary companions.  To kill off a companion means that your companion is going home within the month.  (Missionaries have such intresting lingo.)

Dear President,

Where in the world is time going!?  I guess time flies when you're having fun.  You know, I have really enjoyed serving in this three-some.  I have heard many "horror" stories but I guess it is what you make it.  I love them both...my two best friends.  I have tried to learn something from all of my companions...as I observe and learn their attributes I become better.  Funny how that works.

I've been looking my whole mission for a family, now I'm down to my last week and still haven't found them.  I think about it a lot and wonder if I haven't been diligent enough or what.  I cannot dispute the fact that I've taught many people, parts of families, who have been baptised.  Maybe I'm missing the point.  But it makes me wonder.  We will see what happens this week.


My heart is full.  It is a culmination of the things I learned at the temple yesterday and the fact that my days are numbered.  It is just a really weird experience.  It's hard to describe.

I feel like sharing an interesting experience, that I had at the temple, with you.  I hope that is it appropriate.

I understand the sacredness of the covenants that we make but something that stood out to me is the fact that if we break those covenants we will be in the clutches of the adversary...he will have power over us.  But if we falter we can come back.  Even if the way is hard.  Christ paid the penalties for our sins.  I know that it is through His grace that we can become cleansed.

I guess yesterday I was reminded of the power that Satan really has.  And so through that reminder I see an ever increasing need to keep my guard up - to stay away from the evil and sin that is in the world.  It is true what you said about the temple being like a Urim and Thummin.  I am thankful and I feel blessed to have the opportunity to go there.  :)

Sister Campbell

p.s. On Monday we got to go to the arch...and while we were up in the top I met Jerry Seinfeld!  He wasn't very nice...  I introduced myself, and then asked if I could get a picture with him and he just said, "I'm not a religious person."  And he looked at me if I was dumb.  I wonder what he really thought of me and my companions.  It was a fun experience.

Looking back, I think it's interesting that I thought this was a fun experience because I distinctly remember feeling awkward and later embarrassed.  Today, I'm laughing because I think it's funny.

1 comment:

  1. That is funny, when I think of St. Loise I think of that last story.. it is usually the one that comes to mind. It is funny how on guard he seemed to be! It was a simple picture! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Contact me at kjsbucketlist@gmail.com