Friday, November 19, 2010

7 August 1997

My first letter home...

Cher Famille,

Well here I am, at last, at the MTC (Missionary Training Center).  Can you believe it?  I can't yet.  I guess everything hasn't hit me yet.  We will start getting dirty today and really dirty later today.  I hope I have remembered how to study.

My companions name is Sister Ranzenberger and she is from Kansas City.  I think she is a pretty neat gal and I hope we will get along super.

We just got back from some meetings with the big guys.  The MTC president and a counselor and their wives.  They are cool.  They told us to forget everything and get into the work, well at least preparing for the work.  One of the guys related all of us to the movie Karate Kid I. Weird, eh?  But his talk was really good.  I enjoyed it.

I am the only one in my district going to my mission.  Everyone else is going to California.  It is cool though.  There are eight Elders and two sisters (me and my companion).

This place reminds me of college, only everyone is formally dressed.  I also like the fact that we don't have to walk a thousand miles an hour.  Everyone is laid back, but not to the extent that we are lazy because we do so much.  Does that make sense?

Everyone is happy here and that is a good sight to see.  The Spirit is everywhere.  Even in the cafeteria where it is noisy.  You know what I like to see in the cafeteria?  I like to see missionaries say the blessing before they eat.  Even though it is noisy we all take a minute and thank the Lord for what we have to eat.  Another awesome sight is all of the Elders.  When I first looked into the cafeteria I was shocked, blinded, or something because there are so many Elders here.  I was just surprised that's all.  I am definately outnumbered here...I wonder what the ratio of Elders to Sisters is.  Probably 1:500.  I don't know.

So did Peter, Gracie and Hanna make it home?  I was so glad that they came.  Grant went to California?  Wow!  He had better earn his keep what he is there.  Hey Evie, are you better yet?  The stomach influenza bites it all.

Mom, say hi to everyone and thanks for getting my supplies.  I appreciate it a hundred times.  And you too Dad since you are the one who brings the bread home.  You are all awesome.  Our whole family is awesome.

TR thanks for the letter.  I will try to write soon.  Oh, before I send you mail, I need  your address.  I forgot to get it.  You are an awesome brother.  Just always remember to have faith just like the woman who had the faith to be healed of her blood disease.  There are many, many more examples in the scriptures, today, everywhere.  You know you should read President Hinckley's biography.  (Actually you all should.)  Because it is really good and I think it is important to really know what kind of man he is.  You will all love him more.  I wish I could have read it all, but keep my place and I will finish it when I come home.

The MTC is the finest institution in the world.  And I am here!  It is a grand thing to be with people who all have the same goal.  At school it is hard to find that.  Know what I mean?

Love,
Sister Campbell

Reading this letter 13 years later cracked me up.  Talk about newsie!  I find my observations about being in the MTC rather amusing.  I had been there for one day when I wrote this...first impressions are lasting because I remember the sea of white shirts and ties in the cafeteria.  It was a cool thing to see.  I was also amused that I was impressed with how we all blessed our food before we ate like it was a new idea or something.  Good times, good times...

2 comments:

  1. I like this letter. It is fun to read things like this from long ago. I find how much I have grown since then... how about you?

    I don't remember being sick. Was I unable to go and see you off at the MTC? I got sick so much! I am not quite sure why either. Over exhaustion maybe. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are in my MTC pictures. I always I thought I did a pretty good job writing about nothing. I'm still good at it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Contact me at kjsbucketlist@gmail.com